Saturday, May 8, 2010

maestri 03

AR: Yes, because people come here, don't they, and they fill these pews to worship their God in a place that you dreamt up. Does that not strike you as completely mind-blowing?

TA: This is the place where you can use five senses to think. For example, you can sense by seeing people in the light, you can sense by hearing the sound and echo, and you can feel the atmosphere. The best time to see this place is when people are here singing hymns.

AR: The Church of Light was completed in 1989 though; since then you've designed an extraordinary number of projects around the world. How do you keep coming up with idea after idea?

TA: I just returned from Italy yesterday. In Italy, there are so many significant architectural structures in history such as the Pantheon in Rome, or the Duomo. Italy is full of historical buildings. And Europe holds a great history of philosophy from Greece until today. I read all those books and see these buildings, and I think of where I stand when I design my architecture. I think of the past and the future as well as the present to determine where I am, and I move on while thinking of these things.


From CNN interview to TADAO ANDO

No comments:

Post a Comment